July 30, 2009

Karim Benzema's interview with Marca


Karim Benzema discussed his first few weeks as a Madridista with sports newspaper Marca.

When and how did you become so passionate about Real Madrid?
When I was about 14 or 15 years old. I live in a neighborhood that loved Real Madrid. My friends and family admired the team.

What is the your oldest memory of Real Madrid?
The first match I saw was the final of the seventh European Cup and Pedja's goal. I was 12 and I will never forget that day. It was such a great team.

What was Florentino Perez's visit like? What crossed your mind when you saw him walk in?
He is a gentleman and I appreciated the gesture. He has done everything for Real Madrid. He has brought in the best players and I was honored that he included me. Florentino would have done anything for me to sign for Real Madrid and I will always be grateful. So the fact that he came to my house surprised me at first and made me very happy.

How did he convince you to sign for Real Madrid?
It was easy because my heart was already set on Madrid. He also speaks very good French and we understood each other immediately.

How did you feel on the day of your unveiling?
I had never seen anything like it ever. It was also the first time I joined a new team, but it was very special.

Between that day, your debut in Ireland and your debut in the Bernabeu, which would you prefer to relive?
The presentation, without a doubt.

1 comment: