July 15, 2008

Beckham wants Madrid role

David Beckham wants Real Madrid RoleDavid Beckham has admitted that he could be tempted back to the Bernabeu with a role coaching Real Madrid’s youth team players, but reiterated his decision to stay away from club management. The ex-Real Madrid superstar speaks fondly of his time at the Bernabeu, where he is held in high regard by the club’s fans. After leaving the club for the Hollywood Hills last summer, it was widely expected that Beckham would sever ties with Spain and concentrate on his academies all over the world. However, the 33-year-old revealed to Marca that he is considering the possibility of making a return to his Spanish base, where he foresees working alongside the Madrid under-age sides. He said: "I would like to return to Spain some day and to Real Madrid. To work with the kids or something similar at Madrid would be an honour for me. "Everybody knows that I love to work with kids and that I adore Spain. I still have my house in Madrid and if I return some day I already have somewhere to live. "When the moment comes we will have to see, but to be part of Madrid would be great. I have many friends there and many people who I respect a lot, such as (former president) Florentino Perez, who is one of the best friends I have in Madrid." Beckham has a number of off-field interests, including a range of football schools across the world and extensive work with UNICEF. His extra-curricular commitments would rule him out of a coaching role at the game’s top level. Although part of the Manchester United side that produced coaches like Steve Bruce, Mark Hughes, Paul Ince, Roy Keane and Henning Berg, Beckham insists that he has little interest in following the Alex Ferguson path. He continued: "I have my academy of football here in Los Angeles, but I will never be a coach. I don't have this passion, I prefer to be with my academy and work with the children, with UNICEF...and things like this where you can help people. "I love football and I will always continue being involved in it, but I don't want to be working on the sidelines or anything like that."

No comments:

Post a Comment